Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Top of the world

Today is my last full day in kathmandu, so I went to the Top of the World, otherwise known as Mount Everst. 

I took a 16 passenger plane to get a closer view of one part of the Himalayas that contains Mt. Everest.  I didn't realize that the Himalayan mountain range consisted of multiple ranges, and I'd seen one part of it from Pokhara, and this is another.  Each passenger got to walk up to the cockpit and take pictures through the front window.  I have no idea how the pictures will come out, either from the cockpit or from my window, since they were indeed taken through a window of a moving plane, not a great set up for a great photo, but we'll see.

After the plane ride, I took a trip to the third ancient city which now makes up the Kathmandu Valley, Patan (pronounced PAtan).  More Hindu and Buddhist temples, but this time I just walked around on my own (fighting off multiple offers for a tour guide, but by this time I felt that I somewhat knew what I was looking at), and just spent time taking pictures.  This activity did remind me that I am definitely not in line to be the next great architecture photographer!  But I did enjoy the time just wandering around by myself.

In the evening, the travel agent I used here in Nepal took me to see a traditional dance show (and dinner, which looked good, but I couldn't eat).  They did several traditional dances from some of the different regional tribal peoples in Nepal.  I then took him to experience my tribe.  We went to dinner at the Chabad house and I ordered falafel for him to try!

Well, tomorrow starts my two day journey back to LA.
Namaste from Nepal!


No comments:

Post a Comment