Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Bath Time!

Today is my last day in Chitwan, which I learned today means heart of the jungle.

This morning started with a walk in the jungle for bird watching. I spotted some peacocks and a few other birds whose names I don't remember.  It was a gray morning, so I think many of the animals were sleeping in.

After breakfast I went down to the river to see the elephants get their baths.  People can join the elephant drivers in bathing the elephants and I thought about doing that,but had some hesitation about being in the dirty river water, then when my guide, unprompted by me, told me that bathing the elephant could be dangerous (accidentally drinking the water could get you sick, and if you don't have good balance you could fall of the elephant and get hurt), I decided just to watch.  I did get the opportunity to sit in an elephant after his bath for a photo opp.  I'm SOOO glad no one I know was here to see me struggle to get up on the elephant!  I felt sorry for the poor guy, but while scared, it was also thrilling!

Later in the afternoon I was taken to visit the local Tharu village.  Their houses are made with thatched roofs from dried grass from the jungle and walls made out of dried dung.  Sounds cozy, no?  Once a year, for 3 days, the national park is closed to allow the locals to collect grass for their roofs.  No need to call a handy man to repair their houses.  

After the village tour we walked back to the river bank and sat to watch the sunset and were rewarded with a heard of deer who cam out to gaze.  That ends my time in Chitwan.  Tomorrow I get back on  "TOURIST" bus and head to Pokhara.

Namaste,
Robyn

No comments:

Post a Comment