Saturday, February 9, 2013

Sunrise and Paragliding

Early to bed,early to rise....I'm still waiting for the healthy, wealthy and wise part to come!

By the time I leave Nepal, I will have seen more sunrises in two weeks than I have in my whole life beforehand.  Maybe that's because I live on the west coast where the sun sets, not rises, but I think it has more to do with the early hour of its rising!

My first full day in Pokhara started with watching the sun rise over the Himalayas.  This time it was a clear beautiful day, and I was so close to the Anapura (sp? don't have my guide handy) mountain range, it seemed like you could reach out and touch them.  The light was amazing, and each moment as the sun rose it cast the mountain tops in another color.  Beautiful!

After the sun rose (and I took a million picts) it was time to go paragliding.  I kept wondering if I'd chicken out, as I was more scared to do this than I remembered being when I went skydiving.  Granted, I was in my twenties then, and as I said recently, youth really is wasted on the young.  I remember when I went skydiving though, that at the last minute, my tandem instructor had to push me out of the plane, because when it came to jumping out of airplane, survival instinct kicked in, and I wasn't so keen on the idea.  I wondered what would happen when I had to run and jump off the side of a mountain now...
I warned my tandem pilot that I was scared, but he told me just to relax and listen to his instructions.  He reminded me that this would be an experience of a lifetime, so I literally pushed myself to do it.  While I was scared running off the mountain, the minute that the wind picked us up and carried us off, I had a few seconds of thinking, "OMG! I'm floating in air!", and it was totally worth it!  The fear came back as soon as we started to twist and circle in the wind, but those first few seconds were amazing!
Thank GD we landed safely and everything went well.

Next on the day's agenda was a quick boat trip (in  rowboat, bigger than the canoe) around Phewa lake.  Very pretty.

I spent the last hour of the day tooling around the shops again, then headed back to get ready for shabbos.

Shavua tov everyone (have a good week)!
Robyn

No comments:

Post a Comment